Five Plants That Are Dangerous For Dogs
Nothing beats spending quality time with your pooch outside, but things can take a sour turn if your furry friend gets into venomous vines or a poisonous plant. To keep you and your canine worry-free this summer, study up on these five plants that your dog shouldn’t eat.
If you suspect that your dog has eaten something poisonous, please contact your local veterinarian or the Animal Poison Control Center’s 24-hour emergency poison hotline at 1-888-426-4435.#1 Aloe Vera
While it may help soothe your sunburns, don’t leave your pup unsupervised around this common house plant. It is mildly toxic and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, depression, and urinary changes.#2 Tulips
These beautiful flowers contain glycosides, which aren't good for dogs to ingest. While the whole plant is toxic, the bulb is the most dangerous. Symptoms of ingestion can include dizziness, abdominal pain, vomiting, and difficulty breathing.
Tomatoes are a common garden plant, but if your pup ventures out into the yard on their own and eats too many unripe green tomatoes, they may start experiencing muscle weakness and tremors.#4 Elephant Ear
This large, tropical, leafy plant makes a great addition to any home, but when bitten into, it releases insoluble crystals. These crystals can irritate your furry friend’s mouth and cause drooling, appetite loss, and oral pain.
Similar to tulips, the most toxic part of the iris is the bulb. However, if your dog happens to eat any part of an iris, they might become lethargic, vomit, and drool.
Make sure to keep your pup safe this summer by keeping a close eye around any plants you don't know are pet-friendly.
Please note: At Portland Pet Food Company, we offer a variety of natural, healthy dog food toppings and natural, healthy dog treats, including gluten-free options. Our dog food toppings and treats are great for senior dogs and dogs who are picky eaters. Use our dog food toppers subscription, and you’ll never have to worry about ordering!