Five Plants Your Dog Shouldn't Eat

Posted by on

Summer is almost upon us, which means outdoor adventures with our pups! 

Nothing beats spending quality time with your pooch outside, but things can take a sour turn if your furry friend gets into venomous vines or a poisonous plant. To keep you and your canine worry-free this summer, study up on these five plants your dog shouldn’t eat 🌿

If you suspect that your dog has eaten something poisonous, please contact your local veterinarian or the Animal Poison Control Center’s 24-hour emergency poison hotline at  1-888-426-4435.  

#1 Aloe Vera

While it may help soothe your sunburns, don’t leave your pup unsupervised around this common house plant. It is mildly toxic and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, depression, and urinary changes.

#2 Tulips

These beautiful flowers contain glycosides, which aren't good for dogs to ingest. While the whole plant is toxic, the bulb is the most dangerous. Symptoms of ingestion can include dizziness, abdominal pain, vomiting, and difficulty breathing.

#3 Tomatoes

Tomatoes are a common garden plant, but if your pup ventures out into the yard on their own and eats too many unripe green tomatoes, they may start experiencing muscle weakness and tremors.

#4 Elephant Ear

This large, tropical, leafy plant makes a great addition to any home, but when bitten into, it releases insoluble crystals. These crystals can irritate your furry friend’s mouth and cause drooling, appetite loss, and oral pain.

#5 Iris

Similar to tulips, the most toxic part of the iris is the bulb. However, if your dog happens to eat any part of an iris, they might become lethargic, vomit, and drool.

Make sure to keep your pup safe this summer by keeping a close eye around any plants you don't know are pet-friendly. And while you’re at it grab a meal pouch to keep your pooch snacking on safe, natural food.



dog food food education

← Older Post Newer Post →